There are three clinical challenges facing people with amputations.
1) They use more energy to walk, so they are more tired at the end of the day.
2) They walk more slowly.
3) They feel less stable on their feet.
The BiOM with Power-Assist resolves all three issues
1) Walk with natural energy.
The Power-assist provides robotic muscle power during toe-off. So you walk with less energy and greater ease.
2) Smooth, natural gait at any speed.
Powered toe-off provides real time adaptation. It provides more power when you walk faster – less when you walk slower. The BiOM provides a smooth, natural gait at variable speeds like prosthetics have never before been able to achieve.
3) The BiOM immediately adapts to terrain for better stability
The bionic control system uses a series of sensors and computers to constantly predict, evaluate and adapt to changing terrain, including dips, ramps and stairs. The ankle constantly adjusts and auto-positions for stability and to normalize forces in the socket.